Resources & Friends
If we can't help you, we may know someone who can! Lowcountry Legal Volunteers is a member of the Beaufort County Community Services Organization (CSO). Below are links to other members of the CSO who may be able to help.
Additional Legal Resources
South Carolina Legal Services
Lawyer Referral Service
Domestic Violence Prevention
Child Abuse Prevention Association/CAPA
Citizens Opposed to Domestic Abuse/CODA
Bluffton Self Help
Department of Social Services
HELP of Beaufort
United Way of the Lowcountry
Health Care Services
Beaufort-Jasper-Hampton Comprehensive Health
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Charleston, Inc.
Post Disaster Resources
North of the Broad:
SNAP Replacement: Go to SCE&G office and obtain proof of power outage. Individuals are only eligible if power was turned off more than 4 hours. Once proof obtained, go to DSS Office at 1905 Duke St. or call 843-525-0414 OR 800-616-1309.
- Community Bible Church
Hours: Wed. & Thurs. 1:00 – 3:30 pm; Sat. 10:00 – 12:30 pm
658 Parris Island Gateway, Beaufort, SC 29906
- HELP of Beaufort:
Hours: 9:30 – 12:30 pm, Mon.-Friday
1910 Baggett St., Beaufort, SC
- Our Lady’s Pantry:
Hours: 11:00 – 2:30 pm, Mon.-Friday
30 Carolyn Dr.
South of the Broad:
Food Pantries in Hilton Head
- Deep Well: Must show proof of HH residency. On-site shopping is available Mon-Friday from 9:30am to 12:00 pm by appointment only. If you are unable to get to the location, next-day home deliveries are available by appointment.
154 A Beach City Rd., Hilton Head, SC
Food Pantries in Bluffton
- Bluffton Self Help: Regular hours are Tues., Wed. & Fri., 9:30-12:00 pm; and Wed., 4:00-6:00pm.
Sheridan Park Circle; Phone: 843-757-8000
- Church of the Cross:
Hours: 9:30-11:00am, Tuesday
53 Persimmon St., Bluffton, SC
- Unity Glorious Church of Jesus Christ:
25382 Whyte Hardee Blvd., Hardeeville, SC
Hours: Thursdays, 11:00 to 1:00 pm
- Creative Church:
1293 Plantation Dr., Hardeeville, SC
Hours: 2nd and 4th Saturday each month
5855 S. Okatie Hwy., Hardeeville, SC
Hours: Wednesdays & Saturdays, 10:00 to 2:00 pm
Will take emergencies by appointment
- St. Steven’s Church:
Hours: Monday and Thursday, 9:00 to 1:00 pm
Emergency Contact: 843-726-3077
Hearts & Hands – www.heartsandhandsrecovery.org FREE Hurricane Matthew HOME CLEANUP HOTLINE AVAILABLE Call 1-800-451-1954 for free help from local relief. ONLY FOR DEBRIS REMOVAL. They are approved for disaster recovery for debris removal for trees on homes, clearing driveways.
PRIVATE WELL ASSISTANCE: SC Residents who need private well assistance should call 803-898-4312. DHEC has temporarily waived all fees associated with this assistance.
Samaritan’s Purse helping those in need of flood/water damage, tree removal, and temporary roof repairs. The number to call for assistance is: (843) 295-2408.
FEMA: Individuals can go online and start application process at www.disasterassistance.gov. OR can call FEMA at 1-800-621-3362
Lowcountry Legal Volunteers: Free legal services to low income individuals. Call for info or to be referred to a participating pro-bono attorney.
SC Bar: 1-877-797-2227 ext. 120
SC Legal Services: 1-888-346-5592
Other Available Resources:
- Salvation Army has cleanup kits and hygiene kits available. They are continuing to provide rent, utility and food assistance. They are also assisting with clothing vouchers for those who need assistance as a result of Hurricane Matthew. Call 843.524.3727.
- Beaufort-Jasper Economic Opportunity Commission – 1905 Duke St. Suite 250 Beaufort SC 29902
EOC Phone: (843)255-7220
They are providing assistance with the following while funding lasts.
(1) Cost to temporarily shelter or house individuals in hotels apartments or other living situations in which homes have been destroyed or damaged example: placing people in settings to preserve health and safety and to move them away from the crisis situation for temporary solutions
(2) Cost for transportation to move individuals away from the crisis area to shelters when health and safety endangered by loss of access to heating home
(3) Utility re-connection cost
(4) Crisis payments for utilities and utility deposits.
Go to United Way of the Lowcountry website – www.uwlowcountry.org
and click on “Volunteer”
page for opportunities.